Esquire Tooling and Manufacturing
Esquire Tooling and Manufacturing is a privately owned precision sheet metal shop and high quality machine shop specializing in close tolerance machine shop and sheet metal fabrication as well as commercial applications. They build to print or parts, and aid in custom designs. Since they were established in 1978, they have fabricated parts and equipment for industries such as aircraft, electronics, missiles, oil and gas, mining and computers, just to name a few. Electronic equipment such as frames, chassis, panels, and cabinetry are fabricated in their sheet metal department, with their machine shop working almost any kind of part except gear and sprocket teeth.
ISO registration became a necessity due to customer demands. Nelson Chapman, Esquire’s President became aware of the need for ISO registration when the Procurement Quality Manager at Ingersoll-Rand, one of their major customers, referred Randy Bohannon of TMAC to them for a QMS implementation.
After an initial visit, a Smart Jobs application was developed and partial funding (80% ) was subsequently acquired from the state of Texas. TMAC and Esquire then began on-site work (one day per week) for approximately eleven months to develop and implement the ISO 9002 Quality Management System.
The process used included:
- Initial order process flow development
- Draft Quality Policy Manual Draft procedures and work instructions (with input/review by all levels of Esquire personnel)
- Selection of registrar
- Review/train all Esquire personnel
- Train 2 internal auditors and conduct internal audits of the system
- Conduct pre-audit with registrar
- Correct/polish system
- Conduct registration audit
- The project resulted in Esquire successfully receiving ISO 9002 registration in August of 2000.
- Helped maintain an already high level of quality as they grew approximately 25%
- 99% first time error free parts
- 99% on-time delivery
- Established a more structured approach to the entire order processing, fabrication and assembly process throughout the company
- Improved the handling of nonconformities and corrective actions
- Opened up opportunities for increased sales. They now have established initial communication with several major manufacturers who were previously unreachable.
Mr. Chapman states, “Without the help of TMAC, Esquire Tooling would have never been able to attain ISO registration, and therefore potentially out of business”.
Industry: Precision Machined Parts
Services Provided:ISO 9002 Quality Management